Thursday, September 13, 2007

I had a bay day . . . .I need to vent

I'll start with my good Doctor visit on Tuesday. I got to see my favorite Doctor and that just made my day. I'll get to see him next week (when my mom gets to come). I'm 1 cm dilated and her head is "very low" but I'm my cervix is very thick and soft. Oh well maybe not this week. I was about this same weight when I was pregnant with Sariah. I'm comfortable with my weight and I just will say I'm now 150 lbs so I'm happy with that. I haven't had too many complaints for me.

So on to Wednesday Doctor visit (a bad one).
So today was Sariah's turn to go to the Doctor. She is now 18 months and was up for her last batch of vaccines and a physical. I think I'll need to give a back ground on her Doctor visits. Around September of last year she had a plateau on her weight and we started weight checks (she had been going all the time to the doctor and screamed the entire time). She started going back on the up but was now way behind the "average" weight. I just stop going cause I couldn't see any point in paying them to tell me she's small. We last went to the doctor office her in town (we had been going to the satellite office that was 20 min drive away) because she was sick and they didn't mention her weight so I thought she was fine. Well after today visit they don't think she is so fine. Today was the first time she didn't cry and did quite well until the needles came out. She weighed in at 19 lbs and 4 oz and she is 30.5 inches tall. I thought it was great that she put on a whole pound since last visit but since she grew 1.5 inches, but they think she needs closer watch. The Doctor wanted to run a bunch of test and go over a few more reasons why she small. I'm so sick of these dumb doctors that don't know at all what's going on and they just want a label for her. Well then I was then quizzed on everything she eats and how frequently she needs her diaper changed. I've also been asked to give her vitamins (she doesn't want) and to give her ensure (she thinks is gross, but doesn't everybody) and to keep a food diary for the next 2 weeks. I wanted to scream, she also wants me to come in 2 weeks. I had to finally point out that I'm about to have a baby and I'm a bit busy for more pointless Doctor visits. This summer between Sariah and I went to a Doctor at least once a week and sometimes two (we are both tired of Doctors and don’t want to ever go back). I hate it, arrrgghhhh. Sariah's doctor has given her a label of failure to thrive and that doesn't describe her. She is active, happy, a good eater, and comes from a family with small babies. Also from my online research she doesn’t meet the requirement to be labeled as failure to thrive. According to kidshealth.org (good website) you have to stop gaining weight for 3 months or isn’t running parallel with the 5th percentile. It also says if your child is gaining steady weight and has not other symptoms then she has a normal weight. Why can’t her doctor see that she fine and she is even above average in a lot of her milestones. I think Sariah is a very bright, happy and active little girl. They didn’t send me to a nutritionist (we might not have one her in our small town) and the questions she asked and suggestions didn’t sound like they will help with her gaining weight. I don’t know how she is going to every “catch up” to the other kids. She won’t be having any jumps in weight gain or growth spurts. I don’t want to feed her ice cream (one of her suggestions) to make her fat. That will put me out of the frying pan into the fire. Well I think I’m done and I feel much better. Those that read this feel free to give any ideas or suggestions (or if you know of any high in calorie foods). Until next time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was just talking to the nurse practitioner about all three of my kids weight issues and she said that it was God's way of preventing obesity. It's true... I only know how to fix high fat items and my poor kids would be blimps if not for them having a hard time gaining weight. I make sure Logan eats lots of high carb items. She's NEVER been out of the 5th percentile and she's just fine. I would go with your instinct and know your child is fine. She's very bright and seems interested in life.... no worries.