Thursday, April 24, 2008

You might not want to read this one (potty training talk)

Well to start off today was quite warm and both girls kept getting dirty and I kept changing them. That's not the exciting part, that's the norm around here. So during one of many changes Sariah was running around naked saying "I'm naked, I'm naked" she stopped and said I have stinky and pointed to her butt. I asked if she wanted to use the potty chair and she said "yeah put it in the potty chair" and then used the potty (1st time yeah!!). I was thrilled and a little bit surprised that she didn't need to be asked. I kind of wondered did she realize her bodily function because of the lack of clothing? Well I'm not sure I'm 100% comfortable letting her run around the house without clothes (though it was very warm today and will stay that way through out the summer). I have concerns of what our house would smell like if she were to have accidents. I haven't figured out the game plan but as long as she wants to use her potty chair then I'm all for it. Bye bye diapers, hello underwear. I know these potty training days are going to be hard but if we can get through the accident stage then we'll be OK (did I say we, I meant I, I will be okay once we make to the other side of this training period). Yeah for potty talk. Sorry for those if you who have not interest in potty training talk. I am so excited and over joyed that I had to share.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I just completed potty training twins so I feel like the ultimate potty training expert right now. I tried potty training before they were ready and that was a disaster. I also swore I would never use pull ups and that was also a disaster. We waited for them to be interested. Then, we told them they could put one sticker on their potty each time they went potty in the big girl potty. That way, they could see their progress. Good progress = stickers. They totally got this because they would look at their potty and say "look at my stickers mama. there's A LOT. i doing good at potty" There were too many accidents to just use big girl panties at the beginning so I used pull ups but I made them pull them up and down and put them on by themselves so they wouldn't confuse them with diapers. I got the kind where the flowers disapear if they get wet so they would have another visual key to reinforce their success. Now, they are in big girl panties all the time except nap time and bed time but they have gotten up dry from nap time for like 3 weeks now. We haven't had a single accident in a long time and they go in and use the potty on their own and just call me if they need to be wiped. Now they only get a sticker for poo poo and their potties are almost covered. When there is no more room for stickers, we'll switch over to the actual big potty with the little seat insert. Good luck with your potty training adventures. We started a little bit late just because they weren't ready. Always remember that the American Association of Pediatricians say that not before two, but between 2 and 4 years old they will be ready to train. So even if she isn't ready for awhile, don't stress out. But if she's interested now...go for it. Good luck!!!!