Sunday, December 27, 2009

Another Christmas has come and gone

Well Christmas is over and I'm already working on the next thing. I'm hoping to get a few projects done around the house and I'm trying to make sure everything is absolutely ready for when this baby comes. I know I haven't been on here posting updates as much as I'd like, I will fill folks in now. There was Thanksgiving and with my Thanksgiving comes my annual post-surgery appointment. I was glad it was free and it gave me an opportunity to visit family. Unfortunately I made an appointment back home the next day, so my visit was short. Then I saw my orthodontist and everything seems to be going great. I was very thrilled to get the okay to go without my retainer for 6 hours everyday!! This has been great, now all I need to do is remember to put it back in for the rest of the day. Then with December we had Ken's Christmas party (They served the best steak I've ever had) and I started testing my blood sugar about that week. I wasn't surprised but just frustrated how bad my numbers were. The next week I took the glucose tolerance test, it was bad but I survived. I got the call the next day that I needed another test (I did this test 4 times with Chloe so I am very familiar with how this goes). I told them that I understood and was expecting this. I continued to test my own sugar and went in a few days later to be tortured further. After the three hour glucose tolerance test I knew I was going to be labeled with gestational diabetes. Well they didn't call the next day with the bad news and I started to second guess my self diagnosis. I called them and they said that I did have gestational diabetes and that I needed to see the dietitian right away and I needed to turn a record of what I eat and what my blood sugar was doing. I was okay with all of this and immediately began my internet research about what the dietitian was going to say. I printed out everything I could find on the topic. I understood what the diet would be and I began cutting out refined sugar and lower my carbs. Well I went back to the doctor turned in my "homework" and thought I was ready for the bad news. Well it didn't go exactly how I thought but it was ok. Two hours later I was sitting in the dietitian's office waiting to be seen. I was repeating in my head the speech I had planned out explaining how I needed more calories than the normal pregnant lady and how I normally gain more than the normal pregnant person. I was called back, I was ready, or so I thought. We sat down and started to talk and I turned in my "homework" to her and I was ready. Well, first she asked what foods I liked and when did I eat. I wasn't expecting this line of questions but it was ok. I was honest and told her my terrible eating habits. She didn't seem surprised, at all. I then explain how I needed the food I ate, but that I would stick to the diet and only eat what she told me and that I was going to lose weight and that I would be a very hungry, pregnant, emotional, irritable woman. She wasn't phased in the slightest. I took my paperwork and my new homework and tried to wrap my head around this diet. I can't believe that even a normal pregnant person could survive on this food. Here is an glance at what I can eat in 18 hours:


2000 Calories 240 Carbs 65 Fat 105
Protein

Breakfast 8:00 (30 Grams of Carbs or 2 servings) 1 Starch 1 Meat 1 Milk 1 Fat Snack 11:00 (30 Grams of Carbs or 2 servings) 1 Fruit 1 Starch Lunch 2:00 (60 Grams of Carbs or 4 servings) 2 Starch 1-2 Vegetables 1 Fruit 1 Meat 1 Milk 2 Fat Snack 5:00 (30 Grams of Carbs or 2 servings) 1 Fruit 1 Starch Dinner 8:00 (60 Grams of Carbs or 4 servings) 2 Starch 1-2 Vegetables 1 Fruit 1 Meat 1 Milk 2 Fat Snack 11:00 (30 Grams of Carbs or 2 servings) 1 Milk 1 Starch


As you can probably guess I'm starving all the time and I've lost 6lbs in the few days I've been doing this diet. Its absolutely crazy. I'm going in this week to explain to my doctor that this isn't going to work for me. I think I may go crazy if I have to stay on this diet. This diet has consumed all of my thoughts and everything I do. In the middle of this Sariah, who took dance class this semester, had her first dance "recital". She did great and I hoped we all learned something from this little experience, I know I did (like not expecting much for 50 bucks or expecting a 3 year old to want to stick to anything). She told me last week that she was done with dance class. We will see if she sticks to that. It actually would be nice if she didn't do anything this semester since I don't know when this baby will be here. But she loves having something to look forward to. And then there was Christmas. The girls got Ken up at 7am and they got to look into their stockings, which they loved. Then Ken made pancakes for those of us not on a strict diet (aka not me). Then we got dressed and then we opened presents. The girls favorite part was opening the presents more than the presents themselves. Chloe demonstrated this when she "helped" me open a gift from Ken. after we opened the paper there was one of our old kitchen towels wrapped around the present. Chloe screams "towels, yea!!" and then looks for another present to open. She also did this for the plain box Ken's present was wrapped in. I realized that it didn't matter what they got, they just loved to open and rip paper off everything. After all the presents were opened we quickly got into the car and started the drive to my Mom and Dad's place. I brought along a few of there presents to keep the occupied but the only thing they cared about was watching a new movie on their new portable dvd player (I'm now actually looking forward to next summer when we drive the 11+ hours to NY to visit family). We got up there and we ate brunch and visited with everybody. Sariah's favorite part was seeing her cousins and watching TV with them(Can you tell my kids do not get to watch much TV). Then at about bed time we said good bye and drove home. The kids didn't care so much about watching more TV and they were asleep pretty quick. The next morning was when all the fun happened. The girls woke me up at quarter to 7 and wanted to play with all of their new toys. So I got up and started opening packages, putting together toys, adding batteries, and moving all the presents into the play room and finding a place for everything. They moved from new toy to new toy and just enjoyed themselves all day (and they are still enjoying their new toys). I'm always surprised on the toys the kids gravitate toward every year. I'm hoping that I can figure out what they are really going to want next year. The toy that I think they can't get enough of is a little fishing game. They are still talking about playing this fishing game from the fair 3 months ago and so this is a miniature version of it. They love it and even though Chloe told me she couldn't do it without my help, she has mastered the art of catching these plastic fish in a few hours. The second place toy is the trampoline (its an indoor miniature trampoline), I think this one will get a ton of use until its warm enough to play outside. Then we'll have to just wait and see. I'm glad I was finally able to find this trampoline and I'm also so grateful that my Mom went out and picked it up for me. I officially love craigslist after this holiday shopping season, I mean where else can you get new or almost new stuff for 75-90% cheaper then the going rate at wal-mart? I did buy a dress I wasn't so crazy about after I got on but luckily it was only 5 bucks and it is cute (just a few inches too short for me). I also am considering reselling certain items that I decided later that I didn't really want. Though I have to say my favorite part about this month has been helping Sariah make cute little gifts for all her friends and cousins (even though I thought it would be a bit overwhelming to make 36 gifts on top of the presents I was putting together). But we made it and it was a wonderful time of year. I love this time of year for the joy and kindness everyone seems to have and I only wish it could last all year. Why do we forget so quickly after Christmas that there is so much to be thankful for and everyone is a child of God and we can afford to be a bit kinder to everyone we meet.


No comments: