Sunday, March 8, 2009

I love this camera

Well, since I got this new camera I haven't used it so much.  But after reading about how to use some of the features I think I'm going to fall in love with this new gadget.  I took video on it the other day and I'm able to upload those videos on to facebook and here.  I can't wait to start putting some videos of the girls.  This came at just the right time since both Sariah and Chloe are very verbal.  Chloe is still very difficult to understand but if you really pay attention you can hear real words in her own little "Chloese" language.  Of course Sariah understand Chloese and is a wonderful translator.  I'm still trying to figure out how she does it.  This video is the first of Sariah "Reading" shhh don't tell her she can't because she's convinced.  I'm going to apologize for the volume, I'm still trying to figure it out.  So turn up your speakers so you can hear her read.  She got this not from her grandma and she carried it around (along with many birthday cards) reading them over and over again.  

She also remembers very well.  I recently sung a song to her and after 2-3 times she was able to sing it herself.  So she memorizes words and things and then loves to show off her reading.  I will also mention that we're only on lesson 7 or so in her reading so she is getting better at sounding words out and she understands that the letters represent a message.  Its absolutely amazing watching here learn and grow.  I love seeing her eyes as she realizes that she can learn so much from books and that they open up a world of possibilities.  She is also heavily into pretend and I know some of you think I'm cruel but I have explain to her very thoroughly what pretend is and how stories and TV is just pretend.  I did this many months ago when she decided everything was scary.  I think while I'm on the topic I should warn any body's kids that are around mine that Sariah understands that Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy Etc are just more pretend.  The reason I do this is because my church has this policy that we don't talk about or bring up anything that isn't real in church.  At church we only tell the kids things that are real and truthful.  I think the reason is to keep things straight.  If I told one lie about Santa why should they believe anything else I say is real?  So I've adopted the same policy.  Everything that comes out of my mouth is going to be the truth.  So they never have to wonder.  I also have made it a policy to teach words, names and facts in a very truthful way.  I realized this from very early on.  We would read a book or look at a book that had a goldfish in it and Sariah would ask what it was.  Well we said it was a fish, well now if we try to tell her its a gold fish she quickly corrects us and says it a fish.  It was at that point I decided it was easier in the long run to explain what something was from the get go.  I know I'm really weird.  I think its saving me a whole lot of work and explaining.  I think kids are smarter and understand more than we give them credit for.  Well I think that's all my ramblings for the day.  I hope you enjoyed our little video.

No comments: