Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Week Ago Today

WARNING:Potty talk ahead read with caution!

Well I’ve mentioned potty training a few times and we’ve tried things here and ther but I was very nervous and unsure of what to expect.  Then on March 29th Sariah got very interested and asked to sit on the toilet but was unable to go.  I told her it was ok and reminded her that sometimes it takes a while.  I decided she was ready and so I started the hype about our up coming potty party and asked what she wanted and how we were going to have a whole day of using the potty.  Well I cleared the schedules for this party and when she got up Thursday morning last week I told her that today was the day for the party and what should we do first.  Well she just wanted to play and I said that was fine (since I had to make last minute arrangements).  So about 9am the festivities began and we had balloons and opened her presents, underwear for the day and a dress she could wear that was easy to use the potty (she also got a few prizes for being successfully in using the potty).  Then we watched a few potty shows.  Then came reading the potty book to her peeing doll (gross I know), and then letting the doll have her turn using the potty.  Chloe by the way was having a great time playing along and applauding at the success.  We set up her sticker chart and cheered at each time she was successful at staying dry and trying to use the potty.  All the time drinking her special drink she picked out at the store.  We had only one minor accident and later in the afternoon while I was busy making lunch Sariah took off her underwear and put on her pull up so she could poop.  I was so confused and took a deep breath and explained to her that it was time for her to be a big girl and use the potty.  I still can’t figure what that was about and she’s tried to do it again but I had to take the pull ups away.  So after that we read her potty training book and then played ring around the potty and other silly games like that while we waited for Sariah to drink enough water to pee again.  I was getting tired or all the silly potty games but I just kept on going.  She really wanted to wear underwear at night and I was so not ready for that.  I can’t believe I did this but I told her she needed to have a dry pull up each morning for a few mornings until we tried night time potty training.  That only lasted 3 days and she didn’t want pull ups anymore.  So its been a week since our potty party and I officially consider her potty trained.  She goes when she needs to with out being asked (now I do ask her to try before car trips or long outings) and she does the whole thing from start to finish without assistance (unless we’re out and they don’t have a short enough toilet that she can get up into).  She has worn underwear for a few nights now with only one accident.  She did start out with the tiny toilet but she was okay to switch to the full size toilet when we were at church and she needed to go.  I can’t believe I was nervous about this.  I just think this past week was fun and exciting.  I don’t think I understood when my friends said that after you potty train you must know where every toilet in town is located.  I now know where every toilet is located in town, but when she’s had to go we just stopped what we are doing and went and it was not a big deal.  Now we haven’t yet had a car emergency have to go experience but we haven’t traveled very far.  Maybe I’ll have different feelings when that time comes.  The long and the short of it is that I am a mom that has potty trained and I feel like I’ve accomplished something.  Maybe this adventure we call parenthood will have some other fun and mysterious paths for us to experience, if that’s the case then I’ll just say bring it on.

No comments: