Sunday, April 17, 2011

2010 . . . What a year!

I don't think I can explain what 2010 has been for me. I never knew how much harder it would be. I never knew how rewarding it would be either. I don't know if it is even possible to catch up on everything that has happened but I will try for the sake of family history.

Isaac was a challenge at the beginning but has turned to be easier than the other kids. I guess we are all that way (things that are good and things that are not so good). Isaac came to every milestone early, he was rolling over at 2 months, crawling at 3 months, cutting teeth at 4 months (and multiple teeth at one time), sitting at 5 months, cutting a few more teeth at 6 months, standing at 7 months, cutting teeth at 8 months, cruising (walking while holding on to furniture) at 9 months, walking at 10 months, cutting molars at 11 months, signing and talking at 12 months and cutting teeth again at 13 months. He is currently 14 months old now has 16 teeth which he cut all of them with 2-4 at one time, he walks, signs, talks (with a combination of growling and screeching), gets into everything and can climb up and over everything (including up book cases and on top of kitchen tables). He is fiesty and energetic (he naps tons, maybe this is why he has so much energy). He is cuddly and sweet. He is so precious to me and I am greatful he is the boy I finally got.

Chloe cried when Isaac came home from the hospital, I thought oh no what am I going to do. Chloe had a moment but after that she has been loving and sweet and she has been the only person to get Isaac to laugh and helped to be happy. She loves her baby brother, they love showing him how to do things and to play games with him (until he knocks it down, takes it away or destroys something). Chloe has grown so much this past year, she started out not talking too much and spend most of her time sucking her thumb. Now she is going to other people without a fit, talking, making up pretend stories, jumping, playing and just enjoying being a girl. She loves to dress up and she loves to play pretend with her sister and her brother. She has gone from tagging along with whatever Sariah's doing to really playing with her. In the fall I decided to home school Sariah and Chloe, so I got each of them a workbook and they are so excited to do their pages each day. She also started going to a weekly home school group. She loves her teacher and enjoys playing with her friends. She has been watching Sariah learn and read and now she wants to join the reading club. We are starting her reading plan this summer. I'm excited for her and to see her grow even more.

Sariah has become so independent this year. After Isaac was born Sariah would get up every morning and want something to eat (how dare she? j/k). Well Isaac got up at the same time and wanted to eat to, well the baby won on getting my attention. After a few days of this she didn't get upset she just decided she was going to do it herself. She has gotten so good at it that I have to keep things locked up when I'm making dinner or she will try to eat cereal right before dinner. She gets out her bowl and spoon and milk and cereal and then pour the cereal and milk for everybody. She is very motherly to her siblings, it is wonderful to see. I know she will be a great Mom one day. She started reading a while ago (yes, I am a Mom and I can't remember spit)and she has exceled in her school studies. When thinking of what Sariah was going to do for school that would challenge her was difficult. After much debating and searching we decided that Public school was not challenging for her, that private school was way too expensive and so home schooling would be the way to go. Well since I didn't like public or private school for Sariah we went with home school. Ken was worried about Sariah getting a chance to be with other kids if we stayed home. So I asked around and found two group and I signed her up for both. The first one is a classical model of home schooling and focuses on memorization (which seems to be Sariah's forte). The second one is more for the playing and doing crafts with the other home school kids. Both have been wonderful for her. One we call "school" where Sariah has to plan and give a oral presentation each week. I thought she would just stand there being shy but after watching the kids in her class doing it she started doing it. She can now stand up and give her presentation (almost) on her own. She has enjoyed memorizing facts in Science, History, Time line, Latin, Math, English, Art and Music. The other on we call "KLASS" (it stands for Kids Learning All Sorts of Stuff). She has also enjoyed going to KLASS. This has helped her with her social skills and she is making friends. I'm glad that Sariah has friends her age to play with once a week, it has been challenging at time being so isolated from kids her age. Some of the things Sariah is doing is telling time, helping with the baby, learning and loving the gospel, receiving and reading from her own scriptures, just being all around independent (I love this one, I think she will grow up to be a terrific woman).

Ken has been swamp with work, church and just being a Dad and husband. This past year he has provided for us and allowed me to stay home. I think I take this for granted too much. For most of the past year he has been called as Missionary Leader. When he gets home from work and meetings the kids all run and jump on him. Ken and Isaac have had a special bond. Ken is able to get Isaac to eat his dinner and put him down for a nap much easier and less crying then I am able to do.

I don't know if I remember enough about the past year to fill in anything for me. Some of it I don't want to remember (the dealing with postpartum depression) or I wasn't getting enough sleep to remember. After Isaac was born I realized I was starting over, this was surprising because I didn't think that after having Chloe (and maybe I did and I don't remember, maybe it was just like how everyone else feels when they have number 3). The thing that I've noticed with 3 is that the little time I had set aside for myself is completely gone. At first I didn't think it was a big deal, but now I think I'm forgetting how to be me and now I'm just a mom (which I love and would rather be here at home losing myself then out anywhere else). Now that Isaac is a little bit more independent I'm starting to get back to doing things I like to do like going to visit my family more frequently, getting a babysitter more frequently so I can have time to refresh and trying to just appreciate the small things, by being positive. I love my life I would want to trade it for anything else. This family brings me the most challenges and the most joy. I guess I never understood before now what it meant when people say "For anything worth having one must pay the price; and the price is always work, patience, love, self-sacrifice - no paper currency, no promises to pay, but the gold of real service." Until next time.

No comments: