Saturday, February 23, 2008

Have you ever wondered . . .

what is feels like to have a live spark under your eyelid, singe 3 eyelashes, pull out two while retrieving this now cool piece of match? Well I didn't want to know what this felt like but I now know what this process feels like. I would like to add I have burnt my eyelid and my cornea. Now I know you are asking how did this experience get started, well, I'll tell you. My morning started much like every other morning. We all got up, ate breakfast, changed diapers and I decided (with a full nights rest) that I'd do some house keeping. Chloe was already for her morning nap (normally form 9-11) and I thought I'd start in my little craft room that had turned into storage/dump site room. I took Sariah up stairs strapped her into her chair and gave her a snack while I worked and work I did. It looks quite good now and I've even made a box for each holiday and so next time I need something for that holiday I know where the stuff is. I did this because as I was buy clearance valentine merchandise (which I use every year for Sariah's birthday) someone said to me I hope you can find it for next year. And I explained my plan of keeping a box and organization skills. And actually of the entire cart of stuff I only had a handful of items for my valentine box. Any who back to my little accident. After 2 hours of cleaning and organizing and doing little projects Sariah wanted to be down stairs with all of her toys. So we went down stairs and I wanted a break so I called my mom and we just chit chatted about random stuff. Then while I was one the phone I thought I'd take out the now stinky diaper champ and afterwards it had a lingering odor so I thought I'd light this glade candle that is supposed to smell like snow (clearance candle what else did you expect). I got out matches, I got a box for a penny from Salvation Army (another favorite shopping past time), and as I struck the match to the box the end sparked and threw sparks everywhere. One of which landed in my eye. I dropped the phone and started screaming, sorry mom if I scared you. I wasn't sure at first what happened so I told mom I'd call her back and I didn't think I was blind (I don't know brail so being blind would be very bad, I need to go deaf before I go blind). I call my husband for advice and since he was swamped I left a message. Still in pain I thought I could chance opening my eye and when I did I found a black piece of the match. So I got out tweezers and pulled it out along with a few eye lashes. Now I thought that was over with, so I called my mom told her what happened and that I'd be fine. Fine I was not, shortly after getting off the phone I started feeling my burnt eyelid. It feels the same as when you burn your finger (I have burnt almost everything on my body with the scares to prove it, namely all fingers, foot, arm, eye, leg) except the fact your eyelid is always touch your sensitive eye. So I figured I'd treat my eye just like I would the rest of my burnt injuries, with a little cool running water. This idea was only good it theory. I tried everything I could think of and everything nothing made me feel better. I then figured I'd better call my eye doctor, and he was going on lunch and that I should come down. Why anyone one would think I could drive in this situation I don't know. I explained I couldn't come down because Chloe was still asleep. He then asked when does she get up and I replied an hour ago. She ended up over sleeping for 2 hours which was very helpful. Ken called me back and I told him what had happened and I was headed for the doctor's office. Chloe woke up and ken had his lunch. Ohh yeah I also took a shower to see if that would help and help it did. It now only hurt when I had to close my eyes or blink. I did count how frequently I was blinking and I blink a lot. As I was trying to get out the door I get this phone call from the furniture store (for those that don't remember or know, we got new bed room set and a couch set over memorial weekend this was our first time buying furniture together and that is a whole different story) and they got the part for my broken drawer. He wanted to come over and put it in. I said I was kind of busy but he really wanted to come over today so I finally said sure come over right now. I had to get to the doctor when they got back from lunch. He came over and fixed my drawer (that only took almost a full year; it took 3 months to get the extra dresser). And we called the doctor and came straight down. We didn't even have to wait very long. It was just 10 minutes later when the doctor was telling me I burnt my cornea and that I need to use drops to help it heal. He reminded me not to play with matches. I was kinda embarrassed at first and since I told my story to about 5 different people I was getting kinda used to the idea I'm accident prone. Now that I'm almost all the way healed I can now look back and laugh at myself. So that is how you burn your cornea and what it feels like. Until next time.

No comments: