Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ohh the the randomness

Hey is a very random post so you have officially been warned. I know some of you don't want to hear about some of these stories but I hope to use this blog as a way to keep a journal. So without further ado and in no particular order here are my random thoughts.

I should have posted about this sooner but better late than never right. One day (a few weeks back) I was happily surfing the net when I saw a little rabbit hop through the garden. Well I figured he'd be gone before I could do anything about it, so I ignored him. But a minute later he came back and started nibbling on my broccoli. Well I'm not going to have this rabbit eat my plants before they even get a chance to produce their yummy veggie. Well some of you might know my husband is a hunter, and we have here at the house a small air riffle (This was purchased after a family of squirrels moved into our attic, but that's another story). Well it happened to be easily accessible so I did the most Ken thing and grabbed it loaded it and went around to the side door where the rabbit wouldn't see me. As I looked around our AC unit I saw him. I took aim and I shot the little garden nibbler. I was mostly shock that I hit him and that I would go through with trying to shot the little guy. Well it’s almost time to harvest the broccoli so I don't have to worry about the rabbits eating our garden. I know some of you don't want to hear about some of these stories but I hope to use this blog as a way to keep a journal. Well I'm not sure I actually hit him but I know I scared him. I haven't notice any rabbits around so maybe it worked.

I was thinking about how much I don't like naps. I should clarify that I love my girls napping and the moments of quiet I get while they are sleeping. I just don't like napping myself. I never took naps as a kid and not unless I was up all night I didn't nap as a teenager. But the past two days I've napped while/with the girls and each night I've been up to 2 am, unable to sleep. It’s a vicious cycle and I am happy to report that I didn’t nap today so I hope to be sleeping at a decent hour tonight.

I also don’t like teething and I think its against the rules to have two children teething. Though Sariah’s teeth seem to be coming in without much notice to Sariah,, Chloe hasn’t been in a very good mood with this second tooth coming in. They both have had runny noses and Chloe had a high fever with her new tooth. I was worried she was getting very sick, I’m just glad it isn’t anything major. On a happier side note I’ve officially given up on baby food. I’ve through caution to the wind and last night Ken gave Chloe steak. And for lunch I just gave Chloe what Sariah was having. She loved it and chewed on it for several minutes. I have a whole shelf of baby food she won’t touch. I suppose I’ll just start giving it away. If anybody out there wants baby food just let me know and I’ll send what I have your way. I just can’t believe our little 7.5 month old would rather eat table food over yummy pureed gerber fruits and veggies. Oh well, I tried.

Another frustration of mine has been this digital thing. I would like to buy a nice new TV and be done with it. But we are trying to get out of debt and not spend money where is doesn’t need to be spent. Like on professional pictures, new TVs, new cloths (I always get clothes second hand and we’ve been fortunate to have received clothes from friends and family), going out to eat, expensive vacations, mp3 players and other fancy gadgets, DVDs, Satellite, pricey toys (again the used thing), over priced telephone (we pay about 12 bucks a month and it includes all the features and long distance), and many, many more that other people consider “normal” expenses. Back to the reason for this random thought. So I got our coupon in the mail this week and I researched available converters and choose one that would hopefully be suficent. I set it up and it doesn’t work so I went back and was told I needed a digital antenna. So I bought one and set it up. Well I just want to say I don’t like this switch to “better” TV. Who do they think they are fooling? On a good channel I miss every few words. So instead of a little bit of snow I get black out. This is just dandy, and I’ve paid way more than I wanted to. I suppose it was all junk TV to begin with. If I had to choose one channel it would be PBS and that would be for the kids. Sariah loves super why, sesame street, Curious George and a big world. I don’t want to buy DVDs but I guess that’s what I’m going to be doing. I think there has also been confusion with HD and digital broadcast. I was talking with a family member about someone trying to sell them HD channels and if it was all changing then why are they trying to sell them the upgrade. I wasn’t sure of the answer but today while I was trying to fix my TV and add the TiVo to the whole thing I found a very good explanation about this whole thing. 1st Only those who watch TV via bunny ear antenna need to worry about anything all of you cable and satellite viewers you will keep getting good old analog signal through your provider. 2nd The government is making over the air broadcasters (the channels on your bunny ears) go digital not HD (High Definition). So there is still a better picture you can get. And finally 3rd TiVo is trying to add the IR and serial codes to work with all converter boxes. So I’ll be hanging on to my old TiVo (not sure where my TiVo came from but thank you to which ever family member gave it to us. It sure beats VHS tapes and DVDs and since Sariah must watch something 10 times it is so much easier to pull it up. Now if I can just get it working well be set (for awhile at least).

I read on another blog about Google Reader and I had heard it but never look much into it. When she mentioned it I feel in love. I’ve become some what of a fan of the blogging thing. Well for those of you who might be asking yourself what is Google Reader its easy. It is ane-mail inbox for all of your favorite sites. I’ve only begun to add sites with updates I’m interested in but it sure makes my life easier. I used to go through my favorites and check to see if any blogs had been updated (mostly to be disappointed) and it took a while. Now I open Reader and its there wait to be read. It gets better, I decided to make a personal Google page and on it I have my reader and my email and weather and some other stuff. I now only have to look at one page and it’ll just let me know if there is anything in the big old World Wide Web that I want to read (and stuff I don’t).

Well these little thoughts of mine just took wings and grew much bigger than I realized. On a final random thought (wisdom), I realized that the most dangerous thing to Chloe in our house is the 2 yr old (Sariah). I wonder if they are going to start selling baby proof siblings. I suppose separating them is the only safe way. Sariah just wants to play and help, she doesn’t know she isn’t always helpful. Today (while Chloe napped) Sariah “Helped” me clean bathrooms, change sheets, and put away clean laundry. Thanks Sariah and I hope the playing in the toilet doesn’t have any long term effects. Once again I tried, until next time.

1 comment:

Amy said...

good luck on the getting the TV, tivo and all the components working. That is my biggest fear (well not my biggest) when mike is in Afghanistan is who will fix all my electronics stuff if he's not here. Having a degree in Computer Science really helps around the house. Our TiVo is filled with all kids programs because the girls like watching things over and over and I won't turn on the TV during the day and let them watch one channel. Even some of my approved shows for them have episodes I don't like. But I love the shows they have today. WonderPets is our favorite and has taught the girls a lot about working together and team work and helping others. It's a great one if you want to check it out.